"I would like to commend Mrs. Sylvia Hamowy for making availabe to the Orthodox woman product which are approved for use on Shabbat. However, there are specific halachic rules and guidelines that must be adhered to when using these products, which are approved for Shabbat use.Therefore, one must be aware of all the rules before using these products. The guidelines appear below. "
Approved by Rabbi Avrohom Blumenkrantz Shlita
RABBI AVROHOM BLUMENKRANTZ
- All Shabbat powder cosmetics must be pre-scraped before Shabbat. Using a metal comb will keep the powder silky.
- All scraping must be a powdery consistency. You can only work from scrapings.
- All Shabbat cosmetics are to be applied with the appropriate brushes, using a separate brush for each color.
- Using Q-tips, fingers, or sponge applicators is not permissible.
- Each color needs its own brush, i.e., you may not use one brush to put on two different colors of eyeshadow.
- Mixing or blending of powders to produce a new color is not permitted before Shabbat or on Shabbat.
- The face and lips must be dry and free of color before applying the cosmetics on Shabbat.
- While it is permissible to place layer after layer of the same color during Shabbat, if one wants to use a different color, there cannot be any trace of the first color.
HOW TO APPLY SHABBAT COSMETICS:
Before Shabbat, use the metal comb to pre-scrape powders. This comb pulverizes powder to give a smoother application.
When using powders, turn compact up-side down and work from scrapings. Using a mini blush brush, apply blush from hairline to cheekbone. With a complexion brush, brush powder all over face, avoiding blush. With a lip brush, put concealer under eyes and press powder into dark circles. Repeat as necessary.
Apply darkest eye shadow with an angle tip brush and blend. Blending is permissible because there is nothing on eye. Apply medium eyeshadow with a small eyeshadow brush on lid, being careful not to overlap. You can add a third lighter color under brow as long as colors don't touch. When face is finished, they will appear blended.
Using a thick lip brush, press lip powder on lips. Apply with flat side of brush. This will keep powder neat. Overlap across lip applying as much as needed to get the desired depth.
Spray Reflections Shabbos Moisturizer all over face. This will add moisture and humidity. This moisturizer works best over makeup.
To wash face, use Reflections Face & Body Cleanser using hands. Pat dry with pre-torn paper towels or tissues that are not attached. Towels are not permitted. May be used for babies.
THE FOLLOWING EREV SHABBAT PRODUCTS MAY BE APPLIED ONLY BEFORE SHABBAT. THEY WILL ENHANCE POWDER AND GIVE A FINISHED LOOK. THIS MAKE-UP CAN LAST UP TO 3 DAYS:
- Apply cake eyeliner with thin eyeliner brush three times. Put water directly into cake liner. Use side of brush to apply.
- Use Indelible Eyes Eyeliner under eye.
- Apply waterproof mascara. Remove clumps with metal comb to avoid smudging. Finish with two coats of Reflections Mascara Sealer.
- Line lips with Indelible Lips Lipliner. Keep pencil sharp. Apply a very thin coat of All Day Lip Sealer over pencil. Filling in whole lip is not permissible.
You may wash off with Shabbos Cleanser and apply Shabbat Powders as per above instructions when colors wear off.
VARIATION: WATERPROOFING FACE EREV SHABBAT
THIS METHOD CANNOT BE RETOUCHED.
Use moisturizer sparingly. Apply a foundation with good coverage. Use concealer on eyelids and under eyes. Blend with fingers. Wet a sponge & pat over face to set make-up. Apply make-up colors a little heavier than usual. Finish with powder.
For lips, apply Lip Fix Neutralizer lightly. It is a color magnet. Fill in with Indelible Lip Liner. With lip brush apply a dry lipstick in a deeper shade. Finish with a very thin coat of All Day Lip Sealer.
Spray face with Reflections Shabbos Moisturizer to set make-up.